Thursday, January 7, 2016

December Recipe: Vegan Pie in the Sky

The final cook book for the year, December's recipe was from Vegan Pie in the Sky. This is by the same authors as August's Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, so I knew it was likely to contain some good treats! 

I have to admit, though, I'm not much of a pie person, in general, which is why as best I recall I hadn't previously made anything from this book. (I believe I acquired the book in a swag bag from one of the VegNews yoga retreats. P.S., I don't think it's official yet, but rumor has it they might be reviving their yoga retreat! I don't know if life would allow me to attend again in the near future, but I'd definitely highly recommend it!)

Anyway, I'm not much of a pie person. Fruit ones mean the fruit is soft and soggy (ew), and other kinds are usually some kind of mushy pudding grossness (eww). But chocolate can overcome all odds, so I'm usually content with a chocolate creme pie of some sort, thus I figured the old-fashioned chocolate pudding pie was worth a shot. I also made the crust from scratch with the book's graham cracker crust recipe (after all, if I must consume pie, at least it's a good vehicle for graham cracker crust and whipped cream).

Graham Cracker Crust

Difficulty: 2.5 out of 5. Difficulty was perhaps due to assumptions on my part, not the recipe. It gave an ounces of graham crackers that should yield the given amount once crushed, and so I just used what should of been that, given the total ounces of the box, and failed to actually measure once crushed. It seemed to be too much in total, and I had to add more oil and milk, and actually ended up making two 8-inch crusts instead of the one 9- or 10-inch crust specified.

Enjoyment: 5 out of 5. It's hard to screw up a graham cracker crust so much as it to make it unenjoyable! It crumbled a bit instead of holding up perfectly once the pie was made, but it still tasted good!

Likelihood to make again: 3 out of 5. I'm not terribly likely to need a pie crust again, but if I did, I'd make this one.

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Pie

Difficulty: 4 out of 5. It sounds simple, but somehow things weren't mixed together well enough once I started the heating (to thicken) process, and some stuff stuck to the bottom of the pan and started burning. It didn't hinder the remaining mixture, but added a slight burnt taste to the whole thing. I thought I was following the instructions, so I'm not sure how I could have avoided this.

Enjoyment: 4 out of 5. The slight burnt taste dampened the experience a bit, but it wasn't bad at all, even so. 

Likelihood to make again: 2 out of 5. Still not a huge pie person. It's not something I'd make to have around for my own daily dessert. But if I needed to make a pie for something, this would be on the short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...