Wednesday, December 30, 2015

November Recipe: Vegan Lunch Box Around the World

November's recipe (caught up in December) was from Vegan Lunch Box Around the World - a follow up to the first Vegan Lunch Box cookbook that was my recipe source for October. Like the original, it's simplified kid-friendly recipes, but this one has menus and recipes organized around various countries and cultures.

I picked out a recipe that seemed to be a good cross between something I should like and branching out of my comfort zone - black eyed peas and potatoes, in the Africa menu. I generally like legumes, and I definitely love potatoes, but this has some spaces that are not what I would normally go for.

Black-eyed peas & potatoes with cilantro and lime

Difficulty: 2 out of 5

There was surprisingly little chopping! Just garlic and potatoes (and cilantro and juicing a lime, but that was added at the end so easily done while the rest was cooking). Everything was done in one pot. I did have to add more water than specified (to let the potatoes cook properly), but otherwise the instructions were clear and seemed to work. 

Enjoyment: 2 out of 5

I didn't dislike it as much as I thought; I was nervous by what seemed to be rather large quantities of spices, but knowing it was adjusted for a kid's palate I put it all in anyway. It actually ended up need a bit more flavor (Abe added salt, black pepper, and red pepper to his serving). But it was just ok.

Likelihood to make again: 1 out of 5

I might do something with a similar base (beans and potatoes), but with different spices or sauce. But the particular spices (cumin, chili, tumeric, etc.) just didn't work for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...