Friday, December 4, 2015

Friday Five: Dream Races

Linking up today with MarCynthia, and Courtney for Friday Five. Today's theme is dream vacations - we mean destination races, right?

Here are the races that have been in the back of my mind to do eventually. Some are more realistic than others...

1. Run for the Hill of It - A race that goes up the hillside near my hometown. 2,000 feet up over 8 miles! The Lewiston hill is the hill of the valley, the highway that leads out of town, the signal to know which direction is east. Though this would obviously be a ridiculously tough race, I'd love to say I made it up the hill.

2. Boston Marathon - What runner doesn't dream of Boston? Of course, it's totally unrealistic for me - no, not because of the qualifying times (I just have to maintain my current ability until I'm 75 or 80, no biggie) - because the third Monday is always in close proximity to April 15th, tax day. While I've trained for (and PR'd) a half marathon to keep myself moving during tax season, training for a full is out of the realm of possibility. Will have to save that for after I retire. 

3. The Great Wall of China Marathon - Any trip to visit such an icon would be amazing, but to race on it seems extraordinary. And really the tour packages (that you're required to buy with the marathon entry) look like reasonable enough packaged tour purchases, so if I were going all the way to China might as well do it this way and see some sights on foot.

4. A US-Canada border crossing race - I've heard of the Detroit Marathon before, and there are others, such as the Bay of Fundy International Marathon. While I'm sure a marathon hurts just as bad in any country, the novelty of the border might be somewhat of a distraction.

5. A Ragnar Trail relay - I've done the Hood to Coast twice now (and haven't ruled out doing it again), but I don't really see doing any other road relays, such as the Ragnar ones - it's more about the iconic event of HTC and living in Oregon, than it being a relay per se. But the Ragnar Trail events, where you camp in a central spot and relay on three set trails - sounds more enjoyable. There's still the running at odd hours part, but no cramped van, at least. 

6 comments:

  1. Omg, the hill race sounds tough!!
    Boston is never happening for me either...I won't be able to qualify even with the 70 and above QT :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to at least go spectate Boston some day! I bet it's a great experience just being there.

      Delete
  2. I've always been curious about those marathons that cross international borders. What do they do about passports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that the race does some sort of passport verification (during pickup, I guess), so that then just your bib is what allows you to actually cross (so the onus is on the race to be border patrol in a sense and do due diligence); the border knows if you have a bib you've been checked out.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. With the HTC relay I've done, I bet any relay is probably a blast, especially if you have a good group together for your team!

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...