Friday, November 20, 2015

Friday Five: Favorite Cool Weather Drinks

Linking up today with MarCynthia, and Courtney for Friday Five. Today's theme is favorite cool weather drinks. While I tend to skip the non-running related link up topics (I can think of plenty of off-topic, rambling thoughts to force invite you to read on my own), this one sounded fun to join in, primarily because it's a chance to share my mom's spiced cider recipe. 

1. Hot chocolate. Probably one of the most obvious! Lately on rainy afternoons at work, going to the kitchen and putting together a mug of hot chocolate (we have some packets of powdered mix in with the tea supply) has been a lovely pick me up.

2. Hard cider. Not a warm-up kind of drink, and sure you can get it year-round. But it tastes better in the fall! I love the Cider Boys combo ciders (e.g., strawberry apple).

3. Lemon tea. It reminds me of visiting my great-aunt after holiday get-togethers like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She'd have home baked goodies and tea, and my family would meet up with her for breakfast.

4. Peppermint hot chocolate. There are only a couple things I get at Starbucks - double chocolate chip frappuccinos (which I fully acknowledge are basically a milkshake), and the peppermint hot chocolate when it's in season. It's delicious and tastes like Christmas!

5. My mom's hot spiced cider. It's fairly basic, but she's made it for parties and holidays for as long as I can remember, and I love it!

Mom's Spiced Cider

2 quarts apple cider or juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp whole cloves (can put in a teaball for easy removal before serving)
dash of nutmeg
dash of ginger
dash of cinnamon (optional)
orange slices (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot or large pot. Heat on low heat for a few hours.

4 comments:

  1. I made aa semi spiced cider in the crockpot one year and my dad loved it so much that he still talks about it! It was quite simple too but he enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess it doesn't take much to make a great spiced cider! :)

      Delete
  2. I always make ice tea with a scoop of frozen lemonade, it so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds good! I don't like straight iced tea, but with other flavors it's fine and lemonade's good. :)

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...