Monday, February 16, 2015

Race Plans: Updated

I have some ambitious goals for this year, so I had a race schedule planned out early on, but of course even a couple months later, I'm already making some adjustments. Partially due to coming to grasp with reality (umm, 200 mile bike ride when I'm scared to go out for a 10 mile loop around the neighborhood? maybe not ready for that quite yet), plus scheduling trips and such. And I also realized that - due to actually doing some tax season races this year to keep myself extra motivated - I have at least one race most months of the year, so I decided to fill in the gaps and do at least one every month. 

As far as meeting my time goals for races this year, I think I'm actually on track. I plugged my 5k PR (from New Year's) into the McMillan calculator, and according to that, I should be capable of the 2:30 half I really want, as well as the 5:30 (maybe 5:00?) marathon.


So now the race plan is: 

January 
First Run 5k
Micro Marathon 2.62
Fight for Air Climb 80 floors

February
PRC predict 5k - This race doesn't allow timing devices (you win by finishing closest to your prediction, not by actually coming in first). So I don't want to go for a PR, but rather a hard-ish pace that I know I can accomplish. Probably about 11:00.

March
Shamrock Run 5k - I think I'm going to aim for a new PR, assuming the weather is decent (it could easily be pouring rain, in which case I'd focus more on not slipping), maybe sub-10:00 pace?

April
Hop Hop half marathon - Aiming for sub 2:30.

May 
Bloomsday 12k - My PR for this race is ridiculously slow compared to my 10k, which it really should be similar to (only a quarter mile longer). This is in part due to "Doomsday hill", but more so due to how often I do single-digit weekly mileage leading up to it since it's right after tax season. Since I'm training for an April half, and then a July full, that won't be the case this year, and I think I'll aim for a sub-12:00 pace (maybe even sub-11:00, depending on how things goes between now and then), to beat my 10k PR pace.

June
Helvetia 10k or half marathon

July
Foot Traffic Flat marathon

August
Portland Century bike - probably only 45 or 80 mile option
Hood to Coast

September
Portland Triathlon - I'm pretty sure I just want to stick to improving on my sprint distance time, rather than step up to the Olympic distance, considering still feel about biking and swimming.

October 
A Very Poplar Run 5k or 10k - I found this race a few years ago, and have been meaning to do it every year since, and just haven't prioritized making it happen.

November
Tofurkey Trot 5k

December
Holiday 5k

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow! You're doing a marathon in July?! I can't even imagine attempting that. What are the race day temps there usually like?

    I love that you have something planned out for each month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July and August are the hottest months, but (1) that's all relative, especially to you as a Floridian :), and (2) that's actually one of the key benefits (along with that we've planning this around other fall plans): For a fall marathon, I had to do multiple long training runs in that weather. For a July marathon, only race day will be hot, the bulk of my training runs will be in June which tends to be milder (errr, and a bit wetter, but oh well).

      I've done the half at that July race for a few years, so according to my Garmin, the temp has been: 57 and 55 degrees - I think it records that at the start, so that'd be at 6:30 or 7 am. I think it's more like 75 by the end of the race. Typical July weather has highs of 70 to 80, and we get a couple weeks each year that's a hot spell of into the upper 90s or maybe pushing 100, but that's as bad as our summer gets. :)

      Delete
  2. I love you have the year planned out! I am stuck winging it while I am recovering. I really like the predict a time race, I've never heard of that...but I would still be tempted to crush my time if I happen to be having a good day lol

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...