Wednesday, January 22, 2014

2014 Race Schedule

My race goals for this year, in order of importance are to:

1. Complete a triathlon.
2. Set a new 10k PR (not a challenge - the one race I've done of this distance was a really off day).
3. Run a sub-30 minute 5k (need to do by January 2015 for my 30 Before 30 list).
4. Run a sub-2:30 half marathon (not going to register for another full until I'm confident I can complete it under 5 hours).

January 1: First Run 5k - Portland, OR
May 4: Bloomsday 12k - Spokane, WA
May 10: Hippie Chick half marathon - Hillsboro, OR
June 7: My First Tri (sprint distance) - Fairview, OR
June 28: NW Veg Race for the Animals 5k - Portland, OR
July 4: Foot Traffic Flat half marathon - Portland, OR
August 22 - 23: Hood to Coast relay - Portland, OR 
August 31: Oregon Wine Country half marathon - Carlton, OR
September 6: Aluminum Man triathlon (Olympic distance) - The Dalles, OR
September 7: Pints to Pasta 10k -Portland, OR
December 14: Holiday 5k - Portland, OR

I admit this race schedule is not the most strategic for my goals. Mostly I select races based on location, size, and tradition. The three half marathons that I want to do will not only result in three 8-week training cycles back-to-back, but I'll have Bloomsday a week before one, and Hood to Coast a week before another. And then an Olympic distance tri and a 10k the following weekend. Hmmm, maybe I need to re-think the month of September...

Hood to Coast! My employer had a team two or three years ago, when I was just starting to get into running. I knew I wasn't ready to do it yet, but I was looking forward to doing it the next year - and then we didn't get a team spot! But this year we did, so it will be a challenge but a lot of fun.

What 2014 race are you most looking forward to?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...