Wednesday, January 8, 2014

14 Goals for 2014

This looks like a lot of goals, all typed out! A lot of them are intertwined, though, and support each other: for example, the running and biking goals will make the triathlon possible, while signing up for a triathlon will be motivation to do that running and biking.

1. Try a new restaurant (of Abe's choosing) each month.

I have the palate of a 10-year-old. Not only does this affect some people's opinion of me, it's quite a bit of a hindrance to healthy eating.

Abe is the complete opposite, always wanting to try something new, whereas I like to make the same meals and go to the same restaurants all the time.

So far I know we'll be trying: 
Riyadh's
Marrakesh
Portobello
Pok Pok
Swagat
Sinju

2. Try a new recipe each month.


Same as above. Need to expand my limits! I got a couple vegan cookbooks for Christmas, so those will be explored soon.

3. Volunteer at a race.


Intended to do this last year, but didn't. :( The one race that I do know I'm not interested in running - this year - is the Portland marathon, so I'm planning on volunteering at that this year with Abe.

4. Lose 24 pounds. 


I know that losing 2 pounds a month is totally reasonable, and I believe that this total for the year will put me at a healthy size.

5. Do an unassisted pull-up.


Another carryover from last year. I bought some bands to do assisted pull-ups, so using those will help me work up to it.

6. Run 1,000 miles.

I wasn't ridiculously off last year - 872.5. Considering that in 2012 I estimated I only ran 300 miles, 1,000 was a good place to aim for, but my actual was still a great number to hit! 

7. Run barefoot.


More than the 0.4 of a mile I ran barefoot last year.

8. Bike 1,500 miles.


I've been doing the stationary bike quite a bit lately - 127.5 miles over the last 11 weeks of 2013. When visiting my parents for Christmas, I brought back the last bike I had as a kid, which was still in their garage. It's an old cheap kids' bike, but since I'm only 5' tall, it still seems like the appropriate size! It's definitely sufficient to get started on,  while I see how I like biking and triathlons, and figure out what kind of upgraded bike I really want to invest in.

9. Complete a triathlon.


I love running, and while I still have some goals for that (like, speed, mostly!), I've already run a marathon, so there's not a new distinct benchmark to reach for distance-wise (well, ok, there are ultras, but I'm not attempting that in the foreseeable future). Triathlons seems like the reasonable place to branch out to from here. It's been years since I've biked and swam, but I'm sure I'll pick them back up. They must say "it's just like riding a bike" for a reason, right?

10. Attend one activity or group or hangout each month (outside of tax season - so May through December).


When I have a boyfriend, I tend to hardly see my other friends. Don't read this the wrong way - it's not that I get completely wrapped up in a boy. It's that I'm very introverted, and so dating someone that I see a couple times a week is completely sufficient to meet my basic social needs. I still enjoy seeing other friends, and I know it's important to maintain other friendships, but I have to be more deliberate about making it happen.

11. Read a minimum of 2 books each month. 


I need to read a lot more than 24 books in the next 12 1/2 months to meet the Booker prize list item on my 30 Before 30 list, but during tax season there isn't time for a lot of reading. So the 2-book minimum to not read nothing during tax season, and I intend to read way more than that the rest of the year.

12. Donate blood regularly.

I'm sure this is fairly self explanatory. Just one of those things that is an easy way to give back to the world, and I wish I'd started doing sooner.

13. Do yoga on a regular basis.

This will be difficult during tax season. Maybe twice a month is reasonable? And then weekly after April 15.

14. Improve sleep hygiene.

I still take melatonin nearly every night. And even so it takes a half hour or more to fall asleep. This has been a struggle my whole life, and both contributes to and is caused by other health issues. I'm not sure what my approach will be here, how to attack it. But something really really needs to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...