Friday, October 18, 2013

Running Survey

(From Hungry Runner Girl. Uh, a while ago.)


1.  On average how many races do you run a year?

I've only been doing races for a few years - my first 5k was in the fall of 2010. In 2011 I did 4 races (all 5ks), but in 2012 did 8, including a few half marathons. For 2013 I've done 7 so far (wow, more than I realized!), and am registered for 2 more.

2.  Head accessories, things you have to run with:  a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?

My hair is almost always in a low ponytail or braid (will have to re-think this when I cut it to donate in the next week or two). I wear my regular glasses (need to get around to ordering a new pair of prescription sunglasses). I only wear a hat if it's raining. I've finally started wearing sunscreen if I'll be running for more than an hour or so.

3.  Where do your workouts come from?  A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?

I started running with the Couch to 5k program, following it very closely. Now for races I usually make my own training plan, based on a combination of plans from Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, and SmartCoach (just the free version). I designate a day each week for speed training, and get ideas for those workouts from the various training plans, but tend to pick exactly what workout to do that day, whatever sounds/feels good at the time.

4.  How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes?  

I really don't know. I wear minimalist/barefoot shoes, so I don't think the general guidelines apply. (No significant cushioning to wear down, which I think is the reason for replacing conventional running shoes as often as one is supposed to.) I should probably look into it.

5.  Cell phone - do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?

I bring it with me for long runs (greater than 90 minutes or so) (in case of injury or otherwise being unable to finish while far from home), and if I'm figuring out a new route (to be able to check a map to avoid getting lost). Short, routine runs I don't bother.

6.  What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner?

I have some issues with my left ankle and with tight calf muscles, but no real injuries so far.

7.  Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!?

I'm not going to do marathon-distance training again for a while, but working on a speed, and particularly speed during moderate to long distances.

8.  Speedwork—->  at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?

I used to only do speedwork on the treadmill, but I've been trying some on the road lately, and it's much more doable to push myself to do speed intervals (without the treadmill forcing it) than I expected.

9.  Stretching after a run:  hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?

Always right after. My ankle gets weird if I don't.

10.  What was your reason(S) for starting to run?  

I wish I could remember exactly what instigated it. There were a few different groups of coworkers running or attempting to run, so I had a couple friends to do C25k with. Basically, I think it was a combination of opportunity and "why not?".

1 comment:

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...