Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I Like to Jump on Bandwagons

I saw a few bloggers post Myers-Briggs personality test results yesterday and today because of the Blogtember challenge. Seeing those reminded me that I had done a lot of those types of personality quizzes in college (was that a thing that everyone did in the myspace era, or were my roommates and I just exceptionally boring college students?). In fact, I had a badge-thingy with the results of one such test saved in a note on facebook, and I thought it'd be interesting to confirm that my results were the same (especially the percentages that this particular version shows).

There are tons of websites available for taking the Myers-Briggs (and plenty of other) personality tests, including here and here, but I took it here so as to get the results in the same format as in 2007.

2007 - ISTJ


From TypeLogic: They have a keen sense of right and wrong. Punctuality is a watchword. Often give the initial impression of being aloof. They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach. Easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others... but they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. 


2013 - INTJ


From TypeLogic: May appear to project an aura of "definiteness" or self-confidence. They know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know. They apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "does it work?". They possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system they happen to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause. They are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few).


Below discussion of type indicators largely based on information from the MBTI wikipedia article and the Meyers & Briggs Foundation, as well as cumulative knowledge from sporadic reading of this topic over the past several years.

Introvert/Extrovert: How energy is drained and recharged, and where attention is placed. Introverts gain energy from reflection and alone time, focusing on one's inner world. Extroverts gain energy from activity and interaction, focusing on the outer world.

No surprise here! Although for me this is also combined with shyness and social anxiety, I'll take this opportunity to get on my soapbox and remind any extroverts reading that introversion is not the same thing as shyness! When my anxiety is properly managed, I'm perfectly capable of carrying on a conversion, it's just very draining to talk a lot with a lot of people, and I prefer to spend my relaxation time by myself. 

Sensing/Intuitive: How information is acquired. Sensers want concrete and tangible information from the five senses. Intuiters want more abstract and theoretical information, looking for patterns and possibilities.

I'm surprised that this is now showing intuitive. I think in most ways I'm much more sensing. If I'm trying to solve a problem, I start by breaking it down into factual pieces. I definitely think that I view things in a pragmatic way. However, I've also noticed over the years that I tend to make big decisions - job, living arrangements, relationships - based on gut instinct, instead of trying to break down the pros and cons. Maybe I'm more sensing for small things and intuitive for big things? 

Thinking/Feeling: How decisions are made. Thinkers use logic and rules to make a rational decision. Feelers use empathy and consensus to come to a balanced decision.

I'm really fun to have an argument with because of this. :) You tell me how you're feeling about a situation, and I'll explain why it's not rational to follow through on that feeling. I think I've gotten better at acknowledging the need for empathy in resolving conflict overs the years (or maybe just realizing that it's rational to express empathy), but I remember some frustrated roommate discussions in college that could be attributed to this trait.

Judging/Perceiving: How one relates to the outside world. Judgers like to have things settled. Perceivers like to keep options open.

This why I've so rarely dated, and when I do it's a pretty serious, long-term thing. I'm sure some people enjoy the stage of dating where you're not sure where it's going and just have so many possibilities open to you - I hate that! I don't want possibilities, I want to have a decision, I want to know what to expect. I wouldn't even go on a date until I have a very high confidence that it can go somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an INTJ, too! (Although I too have doubts about that "N" for you--and I'm also much more balanced on the introvert/extrovert scale.) I have not taken the test too recently, but I doubt anything has changed substantially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it further - I think being S for day-to-day things and N for bigger things is accurate, and the difference in results is that in college, if asked generically "how do you make decisions?" my experience put in that in the context of day-to-day stuff, but now that same question my mind goes to the context of bigger life-altering decisions. So if I answered in a way to reflect that I should really be 50/50, maybe skewed slightly to S.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...