Monday, January 14, 2013

It Doesn't Taste Like Dirt!

At the VegNews vegan yoga retreat, every lunch and dinner started with two questions: What flavor is the juice? What flavor is the dip?

All the food - all vegan - was made onsite, from fresh, local ingredients. I couldn't even begin to list the fruits that were made into juices and the veggies that were made into dip - different kinds each day. Unbelievably, my favorite dip of all was the beet dip! 

I have truly given beets a fair chance; I've tried them, usually roasted (what vegetable doesn't taste great roasted?), peeled before or after baking, and no matter what, they taste dirty. Sorry, I mean, "earthy".

But I promise, this dip doesn't taste dirty at all! Just sweet and delicious (and colorful)!


Haramara Vegetable Dip
Recipe by Chef Hugo Gutierrez of Haramara Retreat (with minor modifications)


2 cups vegetable, peeled and cut into large pieces (beet, carrot, eggplant, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, bell pepper, cauliflower, etc.)
1 garlic clove, peeled and coarsely chopped
Juice of one lime
1/4 - 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)

1. Steam or boil vegetable until soft and brightly colored. (I boiled the beets for about 45 minutes.) Drain water.
2. While vegetables are still hot, place in blender, along with rest of ingredients. (I'd recommend starting with 1/4 cup of oil - the original recipe says 3/4 cup, but I ended up using a total of about 1/3 cup.)
3. Blend until smooth.

2 comments:

  1. You have ALMOST made me want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Doesn't taste like dirt" isn't enough of an endorsement for you? :) Keep in mind I don't like beets OR dip, and I love this beet dip, so seriously, it's good!

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...