Thursday, December 6, 2012

Running Survey

Saw this on a couple blogs and thought it'd be fun to share.

1. Fuel: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy, or Other?

Shot Bloks. Sometimes I've bought organic chewy candies from the bulk bins with the intention of seeing how they work as running fuel... but they somehow get eaten before I take them on a run. Not sure how that happens... 

I have a couple GU packets in my pantry that I've gotten as freebies, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try them yet. I have issues with food textures, so they're just not appealing. I'm pretty sure I would gag if I tried them.

2. Race length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra, or Other?

So far I've done several 5ks, one 10k, and two half marathons. I'm not sure any of them have been particularly more enjoyable than another. I'm really slow at 5ks, the 10k was really really slow and just an off day, and my feet hurt by the end of the half marathons (what, you should do double-digit training runs for a 13-mile race? Nah. Unnecessary.) I think with better training, though, I would really like half marathons (I keep signing up for them, anyways). Although I continue to improve, I doubt I'll ever be super speedy, so it's nice to work on building up endurance instead.

3. Workout bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants, or Other?

I don't like shorts (loose = chafing, tight = self-conscious), nor do I like running in pants, because it's hard to find ones that are the right length (even "petite" pants are usually slightly too long and get gross on the hem, since if it's cold enough in Portland to need long pants, it's also raining). I like skirts in the summer, since the shorts underneath are tight enough to prevent chafing, and capris in the winter.

4. Sports drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, Water, or Other?

No -ades for me, I rarely drink anything with high fructose corn syrup. Training runs I only do water; for races I sometimes get Smart Water to add some electrolytes. 

5. Running temperatures: Hot or Cold?

About 50 degrees is perfect, but between the extremes I'd rather it be cold. My body heats up quickly while exercising.

6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics, or Other?

Vivo Barefoot.

7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, bagel, banana, eggs, cereal, or other?

Usually something along the lines of an english muffin with peanut butter.

8. Rest days: 1x per week, 2 x per week, never ever ever, or other?

I don't always take a full rest day from exercising altogether, but I usually run at most 5 days a week. I really don't push myself fast/long enough to be at risk of injuring myself from overdoing it. 

9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?

I always listen to music when running on a treadmill, but never when running outside. I deliberately use it as a meditative quiet time, since during the rest of life I almost always have music or a tv show on in the background.

10. #1 reason for running: stress relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, socializing, or other?

When I first got really into running a couple years ago, it was a combination of losing weight and  to justify eating whatever crap I wanted. It actually didn't help me lose weight very well (I think I was so slow that pushing myself to a reasonable speed put my heartrate above the aerobic zone? It was frustrating.) Now, even though I've lost 15 pounds and still have at least 25 more to go, it's more about the accomplishment of what my body can do. Even though I don't like most photos of my body still, I can feel really good about what my body is able to accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...