Sunday, November 4, 2012

I'm Overweight!

Yep, I'm excited to be overweight - it means I'm no longer obese!

Obesity is defined as 20% over a normal weight, or a BMI of 30 or higher. 

BMI = [ weight (lb) / height (in)] x 703

Chart from CDC

I like BMI since it accounts for the variable of height, making it a more uniform way of discussing a healthy weight than merely pounds. It doesn't, however, consider other factors such as muscle (muscle weighs more than fat - i.e., more muscle weight takes up less space) and bone structure, so you should take it with a grain of salt. 

I'd like to think I have a decent amount of muscle (I can't do a pull-up, but I can do multiple real push-ups, so I would think that puts me marginally above average), so I take that in account in thinking about the health consequences of having a BMI in the overweight or obese categories. I think body measurements (relative to your height) and lab tests (e.g., cholesterol levels) are just are important as weight and BMI in looking at the whole picture of your health.

At my highest weight (about six months ago), I had a BMI of 32.61. 7 weeks ago, when I had just finished the 8-week Best Body Bootcamp my BMI was 30.27. Since then I've been training for my third half marathon and trying to do strength training at least twice a week. 

My current BMI: 29.68!

I also realized this weekend that I need to replace my jeans - I can pull them down without unbuttoning them! I'm not big on sharing specific weights or sizes (to minimize opportunities for unhealthy comparisons with others) but I am proud that this will mean going from a 10 to an 8 in jeans - single digit size! Haven't worn 8s for 3 or 4 years.

2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I am especially envious of your ability to do real push-ups. I am ashamed to admit that it has only been in the past few months that I worked up to... modified push-ups. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have to start somewhere! I worked up to real pushups, from being able to just a few modified push-ups, over the last year or so.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...