Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Scary Green Smoothie

Yes, I was afraid of green smoothies. I mean, come on, it's spinach or kale (or other veggies). Who wants to drink that? But it certainly makes sense as a post-exercise snack, and if done right can even satisfy a craving for a cool dessert. OK, maybe it doesn't substitute for chocolate ice  cream, but it does stand in just fine for berry sorbet.


Attempt 1: Spinach and blueberries. It was... interesting. Part of it may just been that the blueberries were a little tart, so there wasn't anything really distracting from the taste of the spinach. Also, although my blender is decent, it's no Vitamix, so the texture of tiny pieces of spinach was a little odd.


Attempt 2: Spinach and berry mix. The extra flavors (and fresher flavors - the blueberries in attempt 1 had been in my freezer for a while) helped offset the spinach. It was also much less ugly.


Attempt 3: Spinach, mixed berries, and half a banana. Not too bad!


Attempt 4: Same as last time, plus a protein mix. Although I think it's important to get nutrition from real food, I also don't think that whole-food-based supplements are a bad thing to give your diet a boost. I selected this particular add-in as the only protein powder at Whole Foods for under $1 a serving (actually, I think the only one under $2 a serving), plus a very short ingredient list. Unfortunately, it gave the smoothie that classic chalky "protein powder" taste, and I couldn't even finish it. I guess that's why it cost less than $1.


Attempt 5: Spinach, mixed berries, half a banana, and a spoonful of peanut butter. Delightful!


Basic recipe (rough estimates - you just kind of toss stuff in)
1/2 cup greens - spinach, kale, etc.
1/2 cup berries or other fruit
1/2 banana
spoonful of nut butter
1/2 cup water

Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth. My blender has a smoothie setting that runs for 60 seconds, with occasional bursts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...